Friday, February 24, 2012

Discerning God's Will...?

Knowing where God is leading us is perhaps one of the most frequently discussed topics that I've had with my close, Saved, friends.  How do we know? Is it like waiting for a sign, a voice?  It makes for great discussion because we cannot pretend to have answers like that.  Romans 11:34 quotes just that concept from Isaiah and Jeremiah, "Who has known the mind of the LORD?"
Yet, like every other aspect of life, the Lord is gracious, and never leaves us floundering.  You need only to continue reading to Romans 12:2 before you hit a rule for proving the will of God, a rule of transformation.

Sometimes the way things happen just make you smile up at the Lord, because only He could allow circumstances to fall into place as they do.  Like when in my math course, I've been reviewing the concept of transformations and proofs.  At that same time, I was lead to Romans 12 from a mention in a book, but I went with a heavy heart, "Lord, I've read this so many times - please give me Your eyes for new truths," I asked. And right there, it was about proving His perfect will after the transformation of your heart... [insert inside joke smile here], okay, thanks for the new meaning, I thought, but why is this important when I know it already?
Well, I was humbled, and quite literally. I've always thought of presenting myself as a living sacrifice meant presenting myself before the Lord for His service - and yes, in a way it is, but as I read through Romans 12 again, and then one more time, I realized it came with Humility.  Humility allows for us to be a living sacrifice, for if we want to serve the Lord, we need to put aside ourselves, something that renewal in Him gives us.

So there I was, humbled at my feeble attempts of service knowing I can only serve Him in that state, and slightly reminded of how I felt when I was first saved... grace alone.

For me, discerning God's will is searching for first if the question I have can be found in His word, and then which choice brings Him more glory, yet sometimes, when you're living with Christ as a total servant, you just know where He is leading you - that's how I felt about Thailand.
Then, as I felt that call, verses like Isaiah 6:8-9, Matthew 28 (blog title), and Jeremiah 1:4-9 that I kept coming to in my readings, were qualification for what I needed to do.



Today was the day I went in the city with my parents to apply for my visa in the Thai Consulate.  I was less than prepared.  I had forgotten my student ID and had no photos (passport photos) to give of myself.  Yet, in talking to the man, he said the ID wasn't necessary and the photos were easy to get - just down the block.  Everything worked out.  This has been the case since day one - everything works out.  When things like that happen, I have no question in my mind that the Lord is leading me to do His will in this way, and it takes me being humbled at my weakness/mistakes, and then in awe of His greatness that He would use me.
Suffice to say, I'm working on knocking down the "high things" in my life, that I may serve Him completely - in doing so, I have confidence that He leads me towards His will, even if I may at time be blind to it.



Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. 

No comments:

Post a Comment