Sunday, September 3, 2017

Jesus is Worth It

Jesus is worth it.

That is the slogan of the mission organization that first captured my heart. The question rang out, "Do I live as though Jesus is worth it? Do I actually believe that?"

I've recently been reading the book, "The Faith of Leap" by Michael Frost and Alan Hirsch. The subtitle reads, "Embracing a Theology of Risk, Adventure and Courage," and it has certainly got me thinking.  What if the goal of the church was to promote this lifestyle of "risk" despite the fact that it means leaving comfort behind?

While reading the book I just so happened to be reading through the Gospel of Luke. Consider Luke 9. First we see the 12 Apostles sent out with nothing but what they wore and the message of the Kingdom of God. Then, in verse 23 we read, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." Finally, at the end of Luke 9 we see the real cost of following Jesus, living with the reality that this world is not our own. After finishing up Luke 9, I needed to sit for a moment and marvel at the way the Lord reveals his heart - it is not just in Luke 9 that we see this call to risk, adventure and courage, it is replete throughout all of scripture. What then does that mean for us?

Perhaps it means the risk of going onto the mission field cross-culturally, but cross-cultural missions is not for all Christians, but RISK is, so what then? It seems as though we cannot be content with lives of complacency but rather be willing to live life willing to proclaim the gospel despite the risks.

John 16:33, "I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." 
One other thing has rang out this week that I feel must be mentioned. I now recognize that while I should hold fast to the promises of the Lord, and the coming kingdom, and the knowledge that Christ has indeed overcome the world, there is still pain and suffering. Jesus is worth all, but there is a difference, which I am now only beginning to see, between risk and recklessness. We are called to be wise, always going before the Lord in prayer. Count the Cost. I type these things for my own reminder as I study more on the theology of Risk and the cost of discipleship.

No comments:

Post a Comment